We want to learn from you: we’d love to see your photo stories/essays about humanitarian issues and hear what you learned about storytelling while producing the pictures. Here’s how to send us your photographs so you can be featured on NGO Storytelling’s blog.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We’re interested in seeing your photographs about a humanitarian issue of your choosing. The pictures should all be related to each other and tell a cohesive story or send a united message. We want to see pictures about all kinds of issues, but we’re particularly interested in photo stories and essays about human rights, the environment, water/drought, and music. All are welcome to submit. We encourage submissions from non-Western photographers.
WHAT WE’RE NOT LOOKING FOR
We don’t want to see travel photographs or missionary trip pictures. We’re not interested in seeing individual photographs, only picture stories and essays.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PICTURES
• You may submit up to seven digital photographs.
• Each photograph should contain a full caption embedded in the metadata. Pictures without captions will not be accepted.
• Image sizes should be 1000 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi.
• Create an email with a subject title “PHOTOS: (Insert name of your story or essay)” and attach your photographs.
• In the body of your email, describe your story in no more than three sentences.
• In the body of your email, include a short bio of no more than three sentences.
• In the body of your email, also include a couple sentences about what storytelling lesson you learned or reinforced while producing this picture story/essay. We will not consider submissions lacking these sentences.
• Send the email with photo attachments to email@example.com.
WHY WE CAN’T PAY YOU
We volunteer our time and spend our own money to run NGO Storytelling; it’s our way of giving back to the humanitarian storytelling community that has given us so much. We’d love to pay you for your submission but we can’t right now. We can promise that your photographs will be seen by humanitarian storytellers and editors around the world (we know because they often email us looking for photographers to hire). If you think this will be beneficial to your career path, then please submit your pictures for consideration.
Email Crystaline and Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org.